The sensations of suffocation or imbalance and the appearances of clinginess, flat-chestedness, or sagging are common reasons that women choose a padded bra over a non-padded bra. A padded bra provides maximum support as it enhances a woman's bust line by creating a smooth and firm contour. All of these qualities contribute to a look of sophistication. When shopping for the right padded bra, it is important to distinguish between the varieties of padded bras on the market as detailed.
How to Find the Right Padded Bra: Where to Find Them and What to Look For
Women have options of purchasing padded bras from a women's luxury lingerie shop or lingerie departments of department stores or from specialty lingerie shops that specialize in customized bra fittings. When shopping online for a padded bra, it is important to use a soft tape measure to take the measurements of one's band size (the circumference of the torso beneath one's bust) and one's bust size (the circumference of the fullest part of the bust). These measurements are to be taken while wearing a non-padded bra. Online "Bra Fit Calculators" determine a woman's bra size by adding together her band size and her bust size. Taking one's exact measurements ensures the most comfortable fit and prevents common problems such as wearing bra straps that slip off or dig into the shoulder. When shopping for the ideal padded bra, it is essential that women make note of the following qualities:
- Is the bra designed with a demi cup or full-coverage cup?
- How thick is the padding?
- Is the bra wireless or does it contain an underwire?
- Are the bra straps interchangeable and adjustable?
- What is the material of the bra and padding? Nylon? Spandex? Polyester? Cotton?
- What is the texture and appearance of the bra? Smooth satin? Lacy? Embroidered on the outside? Solid? Print?
- Does the color of the bra match the clothing that one will wear it under?
- Is the bra one's exact size?
With these questions in mind, women have an array of bra types from which to choose. The following describes the various types of bra cups and padding:
- Push-up bra – designed with extra padding on the base and the sides of the bra to enhance the fullness of bust lines by lifting and exposing cleavage. A push-up bra may be worn under casual or formal wear. A valuable tip is that moderate-lift padding is recommended for A-B cups, while subtle-lift padding is recommended for C-DD cups.
- T-shirt bra – designed with thin-padded lining that provides a hint of definition. The result is a soft and seamless finish that is ideal for everyday wear.
- Full-coverage bra – designed as a full cup to provide maximum support and coverage.
- Demi cup – designed as a half cup and worn under tops and dresses with plunging necklines. It is not as supportive as a full-coverage bra.